Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All I want for Christmas

Here's another bit of car conversation .

Kaylee: "I'd like a digital camera for Christmas"

Nate: "I'd like a lock on my door."

Kaylee: "No way. I asked for that last year- they won't do it."

Nate: "Why not?"

Kaylee: "We don't lock each other out, no matter how much we'd like to."

Some of you, who know don't know me well, might be wondering why we were having a conversation about Christmas presents at all. I'm a big planner. I buy presents all year long- usually as I find something on clearance. I've been doing a bit of clearance shopping lately so Kaylee is wise to get her request in now.

Two things about this conversation struck me. First, Nate is making this request way earlier than Kaylee did. Interesting. I wonder if its a boy thing or a birth order thing or what. I think Nate actually wants to lock Max out but not not completely sure. Second, I'm also glad Kaylee "gets" the lock thing. I don't have a problem giving the kids privacy. I think they have a right to expect it. But we don't lock each other out of our lives- no matter how much we'd like to.

2 comments:

Christi said...

Kelli
This cracked me up. I wonder if my kids will be asking for the same gift soon.
I enjoy a person who shops all year long. So far the girls each have a pair of boots and then I have a ds game for one of them. I was thinking of getting Christian a digital camera this year so if you find a good deal will you let me know? I debating about getting the kid zoom one for Olivia. Oh it's so fun....but I still have no clue what either girl will get for her birthday.
Have a good day.

Sarah said...

I'm with you - gotta wonder what is going through Nate's head. I wo uld expect Drew to ask for the same at some point, b/c Paige is like his shadow more often than not. And how great that Kaylee understood the message behind not giving into the door locks.