Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Grass is always Greener

You know that saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence?" Well in our case its generally true. Neither Derek nor I are big lawn people. I mean we keep the grass mowed and the yard generally tidy, but we don't water, fertilize, etc to get that green plush yard some people really like. The problem is we live between two people who do. It makes our yard look all the worse, but its just not a priority for us in either time or money.

This morning we came across an interesting dilemma. When I left for work, the neighbor lady was out putting fertilizer on our lawn. I said "hello?" with a question in my voice and she responded with a "hello." Then there was an akward silence for a moment before I got in my car and left.

I really wasn't sure what to say. I'd like to think she was doing it as a random act of kindness- but my gut instinct was that it wasn't that. Derek said she's also put some sort of spray on our side yard (completely killing the grass there). She told Derek there were grubs- but Derek had a lawn service come out and they said there were no grubs (nor any evidence of dead grubs). Truth is our yard probably could use a little more care, but I'm bothered by a neighbor taking it upon herself to do with without our permission.

So I'm not sure- should I thank her or ask her not to do it again? She frequently suggested we should cut down our two large trees because she doesn't like the leaves in the fall. Derek is afraid if we give her any encouragement about lawn care we might come home one day to find our trees gone.

What do you think? I'd really appreciate some comments on how to handle this.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

My first comment! Perhaps she is trying to control any weeds in your yard so that they don't spread to her yard. However, she really has no business putting anything on your lawn, especially considering the fact that you have young children who might play on the lawn and expose themselves to something that could be harmful to them.
Caroline

beckyjomama said...

OK, I understand that she is trying to make her own lawn look better. I get that. I have wanted to do something in a yard in our neighborhod for a while (and my thumbs are black and blacker - NO GREEN HERE!), but I cannot IMAGINE doing anything without permission.

I think I would talk to her - I know, easier said that done!! - and just say "hey, we have young children and would really appreciate it if you would check with us before you do anything in our yard". I mean, hey, if she wants to do yard work, go for it. Just don't be spreading "stuff" in our yard. ESPECIALLY stuff that is killing the grass! That can't be good!!!!