Monday, August 25, 2008

City Boy/Country Boy

You may know- Derek is from farming country. (Carson City, Michigan) I grew up in the "big" City. (O.k. Flint, not that big, but still.) We have two boys so it makes sense that one would be a "Country Boy" and one would be a "City Boy".

Max is my "City Boy". I noticed it a year ago at Derek's family reunion, which as you might have guess was held out in the middle of the country. Max was approximately 9 months old and he made his feelings known quite quickly. I spread out a big blanket and put him in the middle of it. Not one to stay put, he quickly crawled toward the edge, when his hand touched the grass he immediately stopped, looked up with a strange expression and crawled in the other direction. He was quite perturbed to discover the pokey stuff on every side of the blanket. After that he stayed on the blanket unless someone would come get him so he didn't have to touch the stuff.

Photobucket

I thought it might have just been a fluke. A lot of kids don't like grass when they are babies. But last week Derek went to visit his brother, who owns a gravel pit in the same small farming community. Uncle Bob lets the boys "drive" the tractors and heavy machinary (which is why Mommy doesn't go with them). Just look at Max's face-

Photobucket

It clearly says "I'm not impressed with this tractor, please get me a beamer." He's my city boy, alright.

Disclaimer: Derek denies the truth of this post. I'll concede that Max is mostly fine with grass now but I'm sticking to my claim that he's a city boy at heart.

1 comment:

Aron and Erica said...

Yeah...I agree. That look is totally city boy. I can spot it a mile away. I mean, I know Derek is my Elder, but I have to disagree with him on this one. Mom's know these things intuitively. That's okay though - you'll have the best of both worlds!