Sunday, October 19, 2008

Detroit Marathon 2008

I'm so proud of Derek. He finished his first marathon today. His dedication and training really showed!

Here he is at the o'dark-thirty start.
Photobucket

Here he is at mile 25 finishing strong.
Photobucket

Here are his results:

Distance MARATHON
Chip Time 3:25:45
Overall Place 414 / 12568
Gender Place 367 / 6012
Division Place 65 / 936
Pace 7:52

He's a little disappointed that he didn't qualify for Boston. He missed it by less than 5 minutes- but for a first timer- he was amazing!

I was able to cheer him on at the 10, 12 & 25 mile marks. What surprised me is how I felt standing on the side lines cheering. Encouragement isn't generally one of my spiritual gifts, but I really got into the cheering. And the reactions the runners had to the cheering was really neat. You could see the concentration on their faces while they ran and that having someone yell for them really lifted their spirts. We got a lot of "thanks" from the runners especially at the 12 & 25 mile marks. At the 25 mile mark I was on my own on the sidelines cheering. The runners didn't come in bunches so I could really cheer for each person and they knew I was cheering just for them. There were a couple people walking at that point and I really admired the determination- I kept saying "you can do it!" I'm not usually an emotional person but I found myself choking up several times. This experience was outside of my norm on a couple levels and what a blessing!

Here is a link to the photo album for more pictures http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=16j5lt8m.2kb59uja&x=0&y=xxbws2&localeid=en_US

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Derek! Awesome time...just amazing! I'd die running one mile that fast :)

Whenever Darcy has competed in triathalons, I have shared your experience Kelli- the blessings of cheering them on from the sidelines, the excitement of the event, choking up and being proud. It is a great experience. Very cool! I am sure you are so proud. Next year he'll qualify for Boston--I am sure of it!

WendyLee said...

That is awesome Derek! What an accomplishment.

beckyjomama said...

WOW - You go Derek!!! That is so awesome. I am thoroughly impressed!!!! You the man!!!

And, great job Kelli, getting out of your comfort zone for your man!!! What a wife:)

Amyesq said...

Congratulations, Derek! What an accomplishment and what an amazing time!

Kelly said...

There isn't much like the experience of running a marathon, wheter your the runner or the loved one. It is a memory maker for sure. Derek, that is such a great time. I know how disappointed you were, I wish you many more happy marathons.

Aron and Erica said...

Oh I'm crying just reading about it! Awesome!