Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Love like a Gumball

Last night Derek & Kaylee had meetings at the church so the boys & I hit the mall for some Mommy/Son time. Obviously, the mall isn't really the best place for my Danger Boys, but I had errands so we just made the best of it.

Our first stop- Gymboree. This store has a TV so Nate & Max are usually good for a couple minutes. I was very quick. I really just stopped in because they are having a contest. They give each customer a peel-a-prize card . Most of the prizes are a 20% off coupon but they also have some gift cards & the grand prize is a scholarship. We got 20% and left the store without buying anything.

Our second stop- the play area. I had a quick phone call and figured this was the best place for the boys to burn some energy while I took the call. Once Max started trying to jump from the top of the bridge like his big brother I knew it was time to move on. On the way to the third stop, Nate got the evil eye from the security guard for walking on top of the stone wall around the stairs. (Right as I was telling him to come down so the guard didn't do anything more than give us the eye.)

Our third stop- Limited Too. Kaylee needs some summer stuff and they were having a big sale plus I had a 20% off coupon. The first thing Nate noticed when we walked in the door was the big gumball machine. Gumballs are in Nate's Top 10 things in life. He immediately asked for one and I gave my standard answer: "If you be good while I'm shopping."

Here is Nate's attempt at "being good" while I shop:

*Getting all 4 circle racks spinning at top speed simultaneously

* Driving Max's stroller through the spinnning racks

* Asking for a Sticky Hand , Stuffed Frog, and Candy Band-aids 5 times each

* Giving Max the stuffed frog "just to hold"

All that in 15 minutes! I quickly picked 4 outfits for Kaylee and checked out. (Saying no to the "sticky hand" & candy yet again, and removing the stuffed frog from Max's hands).

Then the big question: "So, can I have a gumball?"

This is the tough moment as a parent. Do I list all of his sins, deny the treat and walk out with a sulking boy behind me? Do I cave in- let him have the treat and overlook the bad behavior?

I took the middle ground. I asked him whether he though his behavior really warranted a treat. He looked sheepish for a moment. Then admitted- he hadn't been on his best behavior.

My response was this: "You know what? I don't always get it right either. Sometimes I try to do what I know is right and good but sometimes I mess up. I don't deserve for God to forgive me and bless me- but he does."

So I gave Nate the quarter for the gumball machine. I hope Nate understands that God's love is like a gumball, and its definitely the number one thing.

Photobucket

2 comments:

beckyjomama said...

Wow. Who knew a gumball was so deep. Good stuff missy!

Aron and Erica said...

ohh...I'm crying.
What an awesome response! Our father must have been beaming!