Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Good, The Bad and The Bloody

Today we drove to Ann Arbor to meet up with our friends Edward & Becky and their 3 kids: Bryn (9), Taryn (7) & Thane (5) at Willow Metro Park . I picked the location because it has a skate park I thought Nate & the other kids would really enjoy.

The Good: Seeing our friends again- since they moved across the state last year, we haven't seen them much.

The Bad: 10 minutes into the visit Bryn crashed his bike on the half-pipe.

The Bloody: a deep laceration and puncture wound caused by the sprocket of his bike requiring a trip to the E.R. and 10 stitches!

Warning- if you have a weak stomach (Andy & Denise- this means you!!)- Do not read further!



It didn't really look like a bad crash. Bryn winced and limped a little when he got up. Then Taryn noticed Bryn was bleeding. I send Taryn to ask her Mom if she had band-aids and went over to look at the wound- expecting to see a slight abrasion. What I saw kicked in my previous first-aid training. It was an open wound with lots of blood. I had Bryn lay down so I could lift his leg higher than his heart and applied pressure using an inside out sock as a bandage. I sent Nate to get Derek because I knew we were going to need more than a band-aid, I just wasn't sure if we needed an ambulance or not. When Derek got there we decided that since the blood hadn't leaked all the way through the bandage we could take a quick peek. We both agreed that the laceration probably needed stitches but that the puncture wound wasn't spurting so it hadn't hit an artery and wasn't life threatening. About that time Becky got back with a first aid kit so we were able to put a clean bandage on and Edward and Becky took Bryn to the nearest ER. (With Becky continuing to apply pressure.) It took about an hour to get the wound cleaned up and get the stitches. When they got back to the park, the rest of the kids were done playing so we decided to go get ice cream. Nate was quite impressed by Bryn's stitches- he said it looks like a 7- sides ways. Yikes! I'd rather stitches not be worthy of admiration- although Bryn's attitude about the whole thing certainly was- he was a champ!

It was nice to see them again but certainly not a good visit! Next time we'll have Edward & Becky pick the location!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

makes me queazy just reading! i must admit, i was expecting nate to be the main subject discussed in "the bloody"